Pages

Friday 15 February 2013

And The Sun Sets for Goldie (1983-2013)

Goldie Harvey - 2013 Photoshoot 

Goldie Harvey is dead. I was just checking in to social media to while away time while waiting for stuff and then I saw this news in several places, from twitter to the blogs, and finally, I had to accept it. The singer has passed on. First I thought it was a hoax but reports were unanimous with their confirmations. Goldie apparently was declared dead last night at Reddington Hospital, Lagos, after just returning from the US.

The administrators of Goldie's Facebook Page confirmed her death thus; "It is with heavy heart that I have to inform you all that Goldie passed this night shortly after arriving Lagos from LA. May her soul rest in the eternal peace of the Lord - Admin!!"

They say it’s best to bow out when the ovation is loudest, but this is so sad! I enjoyed Goldie's music, the persona she created for herself, the person I saw in her interviews, and just last week, Afronuts mentioned she had visited his office, and he got a glimpse of the woman without the glamour, as she shopped her reality TV series with Denrele, set to launch in a few weeks. And this is what we see? On Valentine's Day too?


I screamed when I heard it, and Atala had to ask what was wrong. I am still in some kind of shock, searching for more news on her death, or looking at her videos and pictures, though they don't help. She is so vibrant and almost always with a smile on her face. And she was just 30. This life eh? Hmm...

I am sharing this video and pictures below as a way to memorialize her. When a creative type goes, not only do they live on in the hearts and minds of the ones who knew and loved then, but their spirit lives on in their work. Goldie Harvey was here.








Rest in Peace, Goldie.

I pray God to strengthen and console her family and friends. She will no doubt be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment